Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Here's another family recipe my mother used to make.  This is one of those recipes that's inexpensive and easy to make, and best of all, it tastes even better heated up the next day!  It's virtually goof-proof, too, and always turns out great, even back when I was first starting out on my own and had no clue what I was doing in the kitchen! I've always made it with just the peppers and onions because that's what I remember, but I bet squash or carrots would work as great additions.  Luckily, because of the simple ingredients, it doesn't need any modifications for those with gluten sensitivity. Check it out!

Sausage, Pepper, and Potato skillet
Serves 4

1 lb of Italian sausage, cut into 1" chunks
1 medium onion, cut into 1" chunks
1 green or red pepper, cut into 1" chunks
4 medium or 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4" chunks

In a large skillet, brown sausage on all sides. Drain off excess grease; add cut-up vegetables.

Cover and cook over low to medium heat about 15-20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.


A Note From Bethany...
Towards the end of the cooking time, be sure to frequently check the potatoes. If you cook them too long, they'll get mushy and turn the entire dish into a sort of stew...yuck!