Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The following recipe was found in my recipe box, given to me by my mother. It is listed as from a woman named Marjorie, who I'm now told lived behind my parents' house in Ganges, Ohio (the only family member named Marjorie was my great aunt who died in 1944 at the age of 16). This isn't the zucchini bread recipe I remember my mother making when I was growing up; indeed, there is another recipe in my box from Nina Barnes (who was my parents' next-door-neighbor in Ganges) that I will post at a later date, and which looks like the recipe I remember. I am merely posting this recipe for posterity's sake, and for the enjoyment of my faithful readers. You will note that this is not gluten-free--although the flour could be easily substituted, I am unsure as to the consistency of the bread if the bran flakes were removed and/or substituted with gluten-free cereal flakes.

Marjorie's Zucchini Bread
Makes 2 Loaves

3 eggs
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of oil/crisco
1 tsp of vanilla

Beat the above ingredients well. Then beat the following ingredients together:

1/2 cup of sour cream
2 cups of zucchini

Next, sift together the following ingredients:

2 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of cinnamon

Fold in 1 cup of raisin bran flakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr.

A Note From Bethany...
The original recipe calls for "1 cup of raisin bran flakes or 40% of bran flakes". Since I'm not sure what this means, I simplified the recipe posted above.