Friday, August 26, 2016

This simple recipe is for lightly floured, baked chicken. My mother called it "crispy chicken" when I was growing up, and it often accompanied rice and vegetables. I often use this recipe as a base, as it can be modified easily according to taste.

Crispy Chicken

1/4 cup all purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 lb chicken

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix flour, salt, paprika, and pepper in plastic or paper bag. Shake chicken, 2 or 3 pieces at a time in bag until coated.

Place chicken skin side down in sprayed pan. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. Turn chicken. Bake until tender, 15-20 minutes longer.

A Note From Bethany...
I always add other spices when I make this. Try adding garlic salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, rosemary, oregano, etc, after the chicken has been placed in the pan. When you turn it halfway through cooking, sprinkle seasonings again.

For those with Celiac's disease or gluten sensitivity, my father says that substituting gluten-free flour for regular flour tastes great!