Wednesday, August 24, 2016

This is a recipe I finally begged my mother to give me so I can make it now for my own family.  It is named for the church in Germantown, OH where my father pastored for several years, another church in Ohio ironically also named St. John's United Church of Christ. The recipe card, a vintage strawberry motif which matched our strawberry kitchen from the mid-to late-eighties in Ohio is dated 1985 (no, seriously, my mom had strawberries everywhere. I blame it for my current obsession with my lemon-themed kitchen!)

I remember eating this at church dinners, on Easter, on Christmas, in the fellowship hall with my then-kindergarten-aged peers.  Just seeing it these days takes me back to that glorious time right before the 90s began that everything just seemed perfect for me as a 4-year-old. Even today almost three decades later, there isn't a single Christmas or Easter gathering at my parents' house that my mom doesn't make this. Try it out for yourself and see if it doesn't become a holiday tradition for you and your family as well!

St. John's Sausage Bake
Serves 4-6

1 lb cooked and drained sausage
6 eggs, slightly beaten
6 slices of bread, dried slightly and cubed
2 cups of milk
1 cup of mild grated cheddar cheese

Beat eggs, add milk and other ingredients. Refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight. Bake 45-60 minutes in a 9x12 inch casserole dish for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
A Note From Bethany...
Since my father was diagnosed with Celiac's disease several years back, the bread used in the recipe can easily be substituted for gluten-free bread. I've eaten it with both types of bread, and you can't tell the difference!